Got a patient who's exhibiting signs of strep throat or another bacterial infection? A throat swab culture is the easiest way to test for and diagnose bacterial infections, and is also essential in helping to determine the appropriate antibiotic regimen.
Puritan's Liquid Amies Transport System
Puritan Liquid Amies ready-to-use transport system is designed for the collection and transport of clinically significant bacteria. With a leakproof, self-centering cap, and high-performance HydraFlock® flocked swab tip with a molded breakpoint, our Liquid Amies Transport System has everything you need to quickly and easily collect any bacterial specimen.
As a service to our customers, we’ve put together this quick video on how to collect a throat swab specimen. A step-by-step transcript is below.
Steps to Collect a Throat Swab Specimen
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Put on gloves, surgical mask and protective eye-wear.
- Have the patient facing a strong light to ensure the area to be swabbed is visible.
- Open the package containing the HydraFlock® flocked swab and aseptically remove swab from package.
- Have the patient tilt their head backwards, open their mouth, and stick out their tongue.
- Use a wooden tongue depressor to hold the tongue in place.
- Without touching the sides of the mouth, use the sterile HydraFlock® flocked swab to swab the the posterior nasopharynx and the tonsillar arches.
- Insert swab into sterile liquid amies transport system vial.
- Break the swab handle at scored breakpoint line.
- Replace cap and tighten to secure.
- Remove and aseptically dispose of gloves and mask.
- Label liquid amies vial with appropriate information.
- Deliver samples to laboratory for testing.
Hopefully this product demonstration video and step-by-step transcript have given you a better idea (or a much-needed refresher) about how to collect a throat swab specimen for bacterial diagnoses.
As always, if you have any questions about which Puritan products to choose, or if you're ready to order your Puritan Liquid Amies Transport System, please contact a knowledgable product specialist today.